Friday, June 29, 2012

Insect Life

We have almost no mosquitoes this year, but the bird baths are full of wasps, landing for drinks. Yesterday, while we were in the pool, this adorable, seuss-like, tiny (1/2 cm?) bug that looked like a miniature grasshopper, landed on the side. I put my finger out, he climbed on and then spent a few minutes drinking the tiny dot of water on my nail bed. I put a puddle of water on the ledge and coaxed him off my finger, and he happily drank from the little puddle. I wish I could have gotten a photo of him, but my camera doesn't come with me in the pool :-)

Here are a couple of bugs I did find in the garden.

This one I hate.


Native bees are always nice.

Bumble bees are some of my favorites.

This is one of our girls, my husband took this picture on a drumstick allium.


1 comment:

  1. Fantastic photos, Cassi! You can see the furry backs of the bumbles so distinctly, and the wings in the last photo are beautiful. Bees are always welcome guests in my garden, too, but I'm hoping that first nasty guy doesn't invite all his relatives to stay again this year.

    ReplyDelete