Saturday, May 29, 2010

New Tomato Bed!


Rob finished building the new raised tomato bed a couple of days ago, and we got it filled with dirt (a mixture of compost, top soil and peat moss) today. My six tomato plants are now planted and enjoying the sun :-)

We still have another raised bed nearby that Rob built, which will eventually have strawberries in it. Rob is still deciding if he wants to change its orientation before we fill it, though --we're a bit worried because we've built these on top of the septic field. I'm actually wondering if we should move this second one off the septic field entirely --with strawberries, it would actually be attractive (as opposed to the tomatoes, which just get wild and gnarly), so it could go somewhere else on the northwest corner of the house.

Emma and I went to get some bone meal to mix into the tomato bed this morning, and I found another baptisia, but this time a lighter blue one. I don't know where I'm going to plant that yet, but I'm excited about it. I also got two more lupines, but this time I'm going to plant them in the shady east bed. The ones I have in the birch bed are obviously getting too much sun.

No comments:

Post a Comment