Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Weather geek

I'm a weather geek, and as such I belong to several different weather related communities, and I read and comment on a local weather site blog.

What an interesting cross section of humanity you find on the internet. Everything's so anonymous, and I'm no exception --I'm mostly a lurker on the local weather blog, just adding a comment here or there, and of course not under my own name. My profile isn't any more specific there than it is here.

The other weather geeks are interesting, and some of them are much more geeky than I am. A couple are teenage boys (based on their profiles), and they contribute a lot of comments. Lots. They appear to be in high school (based on comments they make about hoping for snow days so school will be closed) and although they are very interested in the weather, they don't seem to have picked up much actual information. Still, you have to admire their enthusiasm --maybe they'll grow up to be meteorologists.

Then there are the people who are constantly questioning the forecast. As if the forecasters are going to update it every ten minutes. "Hey, are you still calling for 3 - 6 inches of snow? Or has that changed?" in the last 15 minutes. I think it might just be an urge to comment, without really having anything to say.

There's one guy who posts comments in all caps. He's shouting at the weather forecasters. HEY GUYS, HOW COME WE DIDN'T GET EXACTLY THE AMOUNT OF SNOW YOU FORECASTED? One of them wrote back "Patience." The guy doesn't need patience, he needs a brain. Or maybe he just needs to learn how to type.

No comments:

Post a Comment